Widening Community Access
“Parents and Children are not the only beneficiaries from good schools in the locality. It is an advantage of the entire locality as every individual who lives there will get good values and the quality of life of all residents increases beyond imagination”
Five Point strategies on how to involve the community in school activities:
1. School – Parent Involvement:
Involve mothers as partners in school and get them as facilitators. Schools have been able to achieve high success rates because of this practice. I quote an example and initiative taken by Mrs. Y.G. Parthasarthy during her early stages of setting up Padma Sheshadri Bal Bhavan in Chennai “Our students’ mothers should be our target group or the seedbed for us to pick and choose teachers. Why was the vote cast in favour of mothers? This Potential group exhibited a natural interest in the progress of the school for the simple reason that their children are with us”. Tapping into each parent talent’s and capabilities is important for a strong school-parent relationship. Parents must be given clear instructions and tools to succeed in the tasks given to them. The power of one parent to make a difference may be limited but together they bond well and can accomplish great things for their children and the school.
2. School – Community Group Involvement:
Parents and Children are not the only beneficiaries from good schools in the locality. It is an advantage of the entire locality as every individual who lives there will get good values and the quality of life of all residents increases beyond imagination. The school is an integral part of the fabric of the community. They are the mirrors for each other and their success is reflected in the other. We have many social organizations around us to which your school can get involved and the entire school can volunteer to aid these organizations with their projects and this learning will be a life time experience. This will also help students cement a great career path and the spirit of volunteerism will benefit the entire society and make your children true humans who value humans and human life.
3. School – Corporate – Business Involvement:
Good schools help business growth. A collaborative effort between schools business firms and corporates can set a new trend and mutually benefit each group to attain their respective goals. Through programs like internships and mentoring students discover their hidden talents, abilities and skills. Children learn how to apply lessons learned in the classroom in a business environment. Experienced professionals from corporates and businessmen can share their knowledge and expertise which will reinforce what is being taught in the classroom by the teacher. The tie up will help students get closer to different careers and the environment which will make them to set higher goals and work for it from an early age.
4. Home – School Connection: The home school connection is a program where appointed coordinators visit residents of their school kids and help parents understand how they can encourage their children’s success in schools. These coordinators can help and brief parents on story telling sessions, reading programs, puppetry, school events, activities in the classroom, child upbringing and how to help their wards in studying. They can also provide customer feedback to the school which will help resolve many issues of parents.
5. Home – School Research Teams: A separate group can be formed among the teachers who can study and research on different ways to improve the methods of involving parents with the school. This group can meet at least twice a month to study on parental involvement, get professional development, interact with other faculty about the behavior of a parent during parent involvement classes, discuss the success parents and design new projects to increase School – Parent Involvement.